Crab Cake Ingredients:
- 1 lb lump crab, picked clean of shells
- ½ c. seasoned panko crumbs
- 1 t. dry mustard
- 1 T. finely minced onion
- ¼ finely minced red bell pepper
- ¼ finely minced green pepper
- 1 egg, beaten (use 2 eggs if the mixture is dry)
- 1 t. hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Additional panko for coating, optional
- 1 stick butter for frying, optional
- Lemon Dijonnaise: recipe follows
- In a mixing bowl, mix together crab, panko, mustard, onion, and minced peppers until well blended.
- Add the egg and hot sauce with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Mix well and divide into cakes or balls.
- Pat into the desired shape.
To fry the cakes, dredge the crab cake or crab balls in additional panko to coat. Freeze slightly to allow the crab cakes to stabilize and hold together better through the frying process. Melt half the butter in a frying pan and when hot and bubbling, add the crab cakes. Cook over medium heat until the crumbs on the fried side are golden brown (approximately 5 minutes). Add remaining butter and flip the crab cakes. Cook through until the cake is a golden brown. Serve with Lemon Dijonnaise.