PBS KIDS Ready To Learn is pleased to partner with Victoria’s Kitchen to produce television spots that will help parents engage children with cooking at home. These videos will air on WCVE PBS/WHTJ PBS throughout the year, featuring easy-to-prepare recipes to share with the PBS KIDS in your life.
One of the major tenets of PBS KIDS programming is to help drive home the healthy habits the characters in your favorite PBS KIDS shows are already reinforcing.
Cooking with your children promotes a lifetime of invaluable skill sets:
- Healthy Eating: Kids will opt out of processed foods if they can make the food themselves
- Social Skills: By working together and communicating in the kitchen
- Sense of Accomplishment & Self Confidence: Through the feeling of contributing to their family – through food preparation, planning, cooking & baking
- Math Skills: Such as counting, weighing, measuring, tracking time
- Intervention: Teaching kids to cook is a huge step toward stopping childhood obesity, childhood diseases, learning & developmental issues. A child that doesn’t eat well can’t perform or focus as well as the child who eats a healthy, balanced diet.
More PBS KIDS Resources
PBS KIDS offers programming and resources to promote healthy habits in your home. WATCH the PBS KIDS programs they love, USE ONLINE RESOURCES and games, and ENGAGE your PBS KID at home, to reinforce healthy habits.
Watch Healthy Habits Videos starring your favorite PBS KIDS characters:
Healthy Habits Resources from PBS Parents:
Thank you to the Steward School for use of their kitchen to make these cooking spots possible.