Join us on Saturday, June 8 for Explore the Outdoors with Curious George and Nature Cat. You can see the Facebook album of all the fun here.
Join us on Saturday, June 8 for a FREE day of hands-on fun exploring science and nature. The educational programs of the Community Idea Stations, Science Matters and Ready to Learn, and Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation co-host this special day in the park to give children and their families plenty of exciting outdoor experiences. Over fifty local community groups with expertise in outdoor adventure, healthy living, and environmental science will engage you in activities ranging from archery and fishing, paddle boarding (on dry land), gardening, camping, art making and much, much more.
Check out the fun from previous Explore The Outdoors Events
Note: Hover over an image to pause the slideshow.
Curious George, Nature Cat, Smokey Bear and a Mermaid will be some of the characters joining in the fun. Come and check out your local PBS and NPR stations while touring the radio and television studios. You’ll even get to see yourself on TV (the green screen that is)! Snacks, drinks, and great food will be available for purchase.
Discover More Outdoor Fun!
Check out some of the Activities from past events:
- Get up close and personal with snakes, reptiles, birds and bugs
- Hike the trails of Huguenot Park and learn about trees and animal tracks
- Join some "Bug Walks" to uncover all kinds of creatures
- Explore fossils, rocks and minerals of Virginia
- Discover hidden Geocaches
- Try your hand at archery
- Play Fishing games
- Enjoy Nature-based arts and crafts and a recycled art project
- Discover square foot gardening
- Learn all about bees and how to identify birds and their songs
- Play lots of outdoor games in the field games area
- Learn all about the James River, Chesapeake Bay and the Virginia Institute for Marine Science
- Meet Smokey Bear, Curious George and a Mermaid and other characters