Serving our community for 50 Years...
"The Community Idea Stations use the Power of Media to
Educate, Entertain and Inspire."
The Community Idea Stations is the largest locally owned and operated public media company in the region, each week reaching more than 300,000 people throughout central Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley.
WCVE PBS, WCVW PBS, PBS Kids 24/7, lifestyle channel Create TV, and international program channel MHz Worldview serve the Richmond community with television programming.
The Stations serve the Charlottesville community with television programming on WHTJ PBS, WVPT PBS, WCVW PBS, Create TV, MHz Worldview, and PBS Kids 24/7.
The Stations serve the Harrisonburg community with television programming on WVPT PBS, WVPY PBS, Create TV, and PBS Kids 24/7.
WCVE Music provides classical music, jazz, blues, world music, and more for radio listeners in Richmond on 93.1 FM and 107.3 FM (HD2), and also serves radio listeners on 89.1 WCNV in the Northern Neck and on 90.1 WMVE in Chase City.
WCVE News provides Morning Edition, All Things Considered, as well as NPR talk shows and BBC News on 88.9 (HD1) in Richmond, and also serves radio listeners on 89.1 WCNV in the Northern Neck and on 90.1 WMVE in Chase City.
Additional content for lifelong learners of all ages can be found at ideastations.org.
Our community impact is concentrated into five areas:
- Arts – Through programming on television and radio, we take audiences to stages in our own backyard and around the world. On radio through Artsline and media sponsorships, we support local arts organizations and keep our community abreast of local arts happenings.
- History – From PBS national documentaries to our own award-winning locally-produced documentaries, we share the stories of our shared experiences.
- Science – Our multi-media initiative Science Matters uses radio, television and the Web to encourage audience interest in science and exploration, STEM education and environmental sustainability and stewardship in our community.
- News – On radio and television, we are a trusted news source for in-depth local, national and international news.
- Children’s Education – Our Ready To Learn literacy program helps parents and educators use PBS Kids television programs, hands-on activities and reading to develop literacy skills in young children, putting them on the path for success in school.
Television and Radio Coverage Area:
The Community Idea Stations is committed to fulfilling the promise of public broadcasting by using the power of media to enrich the human spirit and make our community a better place. We partner with many organizations, using our media to amplify their missions. Together we help foster a community that is vibrant in the arts, understands and learns from its past, inspires curiosity in the world around us and lifelong learning for all ages, whose citizens are informed, open-minded and engaged and whose children are put on a path for success in school and life.