Virginia Home Grown September: Tree Farming; Private Garden Tour; Golden Lotus Banana
Amy Williams takes a trip to Spring Hill Nursery in Louisa County to learn about tree farming. Peggy Singlemann visits Sandy McDougle’s (of Sandy’s Plants, Inc.) private garden in Mechanicsville. WATCH NOW
We’ll also hear from Peggy during her “Tip from Maymont” when she talks about proper planting techniques for trees and bushes. WATCH NOW
September’s Plant of the Month features Scott Burrell from J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College. Scott talks about tropicals in the garden and highlights a favorite - the Golden Lotus Banana. WATCH NOW
Plants Mentioned in the Sandy McDougle Private Garden Segment...
- Panicum virgatum 'Northwind' - Northwind Switchgrass
- Carex oshimensis ‘Evergold’ - Sedge
- Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lime'
- Rohdea japonica - Lily of China
- Opuntia sp. - Hardy Cactus in containers!
- Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold' - evergreen honeysuckle
- Heuchera 'Fire Alarm’ - NEW! Coral Bells ‘Fire Alarm’
- Heuchera ‘Caramel’
- Heuchera ‘Plum Pudding’
- Dryopteris erythrosora - Autumn Fern
- Helleborus orientalis - Lenten Rose
- Acorus gramineus minimus aureus - Dwarf Sweet Flag
Plants on the steps:
- Lysimachia japonica ’Minutissima’ - Dwarf Loosestrife - dark green plant on steps
- Native moss - light green plant on steps
- Rubus calycinoides ‘Emerald Carpet’ - Creeping Raspberry
- Rudbeckia maxima - Giant Coneflower
- Hydrangea paniculata - mophead hydrangea
- Callicarpa dichotoma 'Issai' - Issai Beautyberry
Plants Mentioned In-Studio:
- Agastache 'Blue Fortune', Agastache 'Globetrotter'
- Anemone 'Pr. Lady Emily'
- Aster 'Purple Dome', Aster 'Purple Dome', Aster 'Wood's Pink'
- Begonia grandis, Begonia grandis 'Alba'
- Carex 'Gold Strike', Carex 'Prairie Fire'
- Caryopteris 'Grand Bleu'
- Echinacea 'Sundown', Echinacea 'Supreme Flamingo'
- Fern Brilliance Autumn
- Helianthus 'Lemon Queen'
- Heuchera 'Fire Alarm', Heuchera 'Georgia Peach
- Lonicera 'Baggesen's Gold', Lonicera 'Lemon Beauty'
- Miscanthus 'Purpurascens'
- Panicum 'Cheyenne Sky'
- Pansy Viola 'Sorbet Mix'
- Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
Viewers can interact with the experts by submitting questions via email to VHG@ideastations.org or by phone (toll free) to 1.866.220.0911 (only during the LIVE show).
Virginia Home Grown is a Live TV program that explores the delights and challenges of gardening and growing in Virginia. Host, Amy Barton Williams, and Co-Host, Peggy M. Singlemann, interview experts and enthusiasts from around the state. The program airs monthly from March through October. Follow along on Facebook.