WHTJ Writers Contest Winners Revealed
With more than 200 entries from kids in grades K-5, the judges of WHTJ's PBS KIDS GO! Writers Contest discovered, rather quickly, that they were going to have a difficult time coming up with their first, second, and third place winners. It was not easy, but after much deliberation, they were ready to announce their winners.
And the winners are...
- 1st Place: Adeline Woolley - "Shut the Door"
- 2nd Place: Olivia Wamsley - "The Mermaid"
- 3rd Place: Zoe Otto - "The Snowball Fight"
- 1st Place: Brooklynne Eppard - "Olivia!"
- 2nd Place: Audrey Ragsdale - "Friendship at the Museum"
- 3rd Place: Zachary Foster - "Bleeps Adventure to Earth"
- 1st Place: Alana Shumake - "The Little Drummer Girl"
- 2nd Place: Joshua Harris - "Adam the Giraffe"
- 3rd Place: Ella Taylor - "Parsly and the Cookie Girl!"
- 1st Place: Maya Jelinek - "Shiny Rings"
- 2nd Place: Jeida Brooks - "The Traveling Teddy"
- 3rd Place: Emma Stewart - "The Missing Mia"
- 1st Place: Chloe Smith - "How the Turtle Got His Shell"
- 2nd Place: Roshan George - "White Paw's Potion"
- 3rd Place: Jesse Hayes - "Dream World"
- 1st Place: Eugene Shin - "The Last Picture"
- 2nd Place: Hailey Greenstone - "Saving Moon"
- 3rd Place: Lauryn Eppard - "Everybody Wins"
On Sunday, May 15th, friends and family gathered at CitySpace, located in Charlottesville's downtown mall, for an awards ceremony honoring the winners. In front of an audience of more than 100 people, the winners were recorded narrating their stories and digital versions will soon be available on classroomclips.org. (Please check back in a few weeks.)
Because the goal of the contest is to encourage, challenge and reward effort, every child who submitted an original story was recognized for their participation with a Certificate of Achievement.
A special thanks to the Virginia College Savings Plan, whose continued support makes this contest possible.