Cox Seeks $57 Million for Veterans Care Centers | Community Idea Stations


FM Stream HD1

Cox Seeks $57 Million for Veterans Care Centers

House of Delegates Majority Leader Kirk Cox (R-Colonial Heights) has pre-filed two of the first bills for the 2015 General Assembly session. They would prioritize state funding for veterans' care centers in Hampton Roads and Northern Virginia.

The proposed legislation dedicates $28.5 million for each center from funds previously reserved for the construction of a new General Assembly building. Virginia currently only has two veterans' care centers, the Sitter and Barfoot Center in Richmond which Cox helped create in 2003 and another in Salem.

Construction of the state centers are 65 percent funded by the Federal government, while the state pays the remaining 35 percent. Virginia has been on the waiting list since 2006 for Hampton Roads and 2009 for Northern Virginia.