Another Person Burned In Cooking Fire
Chesterfield County firefighters say cooking fires are their number one danger in the county, and after another injury yesterday, they are urging people to be cautious, especially around Thanksgiving.
Cooking-related fires continue to be the number one cause in Chesterfield.
Elmore: Oh, absolutely. We had one this afternoon that got burned and we've had probably three or four in the last month.
Lt. Jason Elmore, Chesterfield Fire, says people seem to make a common mistake.
Elmore: That have done these exact same things, trying to pick that pan up and exit their residence, to get it out of the house, and some of them have been fairly significant burns, as well.
He says, don’t move the pan, smother the fire.
Elmore: Keep a cookie sheet close by when you're cooking, and you can just take that and slide it right over top of the instrument that's on fire and just smother that fire.
Better than that, he says, don’t leave cooking unattended!
Elmore: We want everybody to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday, spend a good time with your family, but just be safe.
Charles Fishburne , WCVE News