The Community Idea Stations examines the often-overlooked, first-hand experiences of those who care for friends and family who are impacted by Alzheimer’s.
Richmond, VA-This month-long multimedia initiative sponsored by VCU Health and presented during Alzheimer’s Awareness and Family Caregivers Month, includes an hour-long TV documentary, radio vignettes, digital resources, a special workshop for caregivers and a Science PubRVA gathering. Each component features interviews and conversations with caregivers and support-organizations sharing what they have learned, what they wished they had known and what they hope will help others as they navigate this difficult journey.
Learn more at ideastations.org/AlzCare and join the conversation on social media using #AlzCare.
Watch: Alzheimer’s: The Caregiver’s Perspective Documentary
- Premieres November 10 at 9:00 p.m. on WCVE PBS/WHTJ PBS and on the WCVE Facebook page, Encore on WCVE PBS/WHTJ PBS November 14 at 11:00 p.m.
- Description: Alzheimer’s: A Caregiver’s Perspective features caregivers’ stories from diverse backgrounds and situations that shed light on the different stages and types of care. Individual stories and interviews from caregivers are edited together for an in-depth look into the everyday lives of those dedicated to caring for those with Alzheimer’s.
Listen: Alzheimer’s: The Caregiver’s Perspective Radio Series on 88.9 WCVE
Airing Thursdays, October 20 through November 17 during NPR’s Morning Edition and All Things Considered, this series is comprised of five feature stories:
- Dementia & Financial Planning
- Deep Brain Stimulation Helping Some with Alzheimer’s
- The Poetry of Alzheimer’s -early stage patient writes poems about her experience
- Veterans Find Alzheimer’s Care at Sitter & Barfoot
- Forming Bonds Through Music, Yoga & Memory
- Refresh, Refuel and Retool: A Workshop for Family Caregivers: Thursday, November 17 from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Please join us for a very special workshop designed to educate and encourage caregivers with information and hands on learning opportunities. Register at ideastations.org/AlzCare.
- SciencePub RVA: The Quest to Conquer Alzheimer’s Disease: Wednesday, November 30 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Science Pub RVA hosts Dr. George S. Bloom of the University of Virginia who will speak about Alzheimer’s research including obstacles, current research happening at UVA and the path to creating effective treatments. This event, designed for adults, is free with registration. Registration opens November 16. Visit ideastations.org/AlzCare for details.
- Visit ideastations.org/ALZcare to, register for events, hear our radio stories, watch the film and see additional caregiver stories that didn’t make it into the film.
- Follow us on Twitter @WCVE and Facebook @WCVE.VA to find resources and share your experience caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's. Join the month-long conversation.
About The Community Idea Stations:
The Community Idea Stations is the largest locally owned and operated public media company in the region, each week reaching more than 300,000 people throughout central Virginia through radio with 88.9 WCVE NPR and television with WCVE PBS/WHTJ PBS, WCVW PBS, lifestyle channel WCVE Create and international program channel MHz Worldview. Additional content and information for lifelong learners of all ages is available at ideastations.org.
CONTACT: Gabrielle Jones (804) 560-8251 • email@example.com.