Spring is a Great Time to Explore the Outdoors!
A Free Event... Rain or Shine... Join the fun at Huguenot Park and the Community Idea Stations at 10901 Robious Road, North Chesterfield, Virginia on May 1, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
In case of SEVERE weather, call (804) 560-8103 on May 1 for the latest information.
Make tracks to Huguenot Park and the studios of the Community Idea Stations on Sunday, May 1, 2016 from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. for a FREE day of hands-on fun exploring science and nature. The educational programs of the Community Idea Stations, Science Matters and Ready to Learn, and Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation are co-hosting a special day in the park to give children and their families plenty of exciting outdoor experiences. Over fifty local community groups with expertise in outdoor adventure, healthy living, and environmental science will engage you in activities ranging from archery and fishing, paddle boarding (on dry land), gardening, camping, art making and much, much more.
Curious George, Smokey Bear and a Mermaid will be some of the characters joining in the fun. Come and check out your local PBS and NPR stations while touring the radio and television studios. You’ll even get to see yourself on TV (the green screen that is)! Snacks, drinks, and great food will be available for purchase.
Check out some of the Activities from 2015:
- Get up close and personal with snakes, reptiles, birds and bugs
- Hike the trails of Huguenot Park and learn about trees and animal tracks
- Join some "Bug Walks" to uncover all kinds of creatures
- Explore fossils, rocks and minerals of Virginia
- Discover hidden Geocaches
- Try your hand at archery
- Watch tree climbing demonstrations and learn from special guides
- Play Fishing games
- Enjoy Nature-based arts and crafts and a recycled art project
- Discover square foot gardening
- Learn all about bees and how to identify birds and their songs
- Play lots of outdoor games in the field games area
- Learn all about the James River, Chesapeake Bay and the Virginia Institute for Marine Science
- Meet Smokey Bear, Curious George and a Mermaid and other characters
Be sure to “Explore the Outdoors” by checking out these Science Matters videos:
Fossil Hunting at York River State Park
James River Ecology School
Pocahontas State Park
Rockwood Nature Center
Save the Wood Thrush