Directions and Parking Locations Map (PDF) • Want to be a Volunteer? Sign Up Here!
Spring is a Great Time to Explore the Outdoors!
A Free Event... Rain or Shine... May 4 from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
Make tracks to Huguenot Park and the studios of the Community Idea Stations on Sunday, May 4, 2014 from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. for a FREE day of hands-on fun exploring science and nature. The educational programs of the Community Idea Stations, Science Matters and Ready to Learn, and Chesterfield County Parks and Recreation are co-hosting a special day in the park to give children and their families plenty of exciting outdoor experiences. Over forty local community groups with expertise in outdoor adventure, healthy living, and environmental science will engage you in activities ranging from nature walks to tree climbing, archery and fishing, paddle boarding (on dry land), gardening, camping, art making and much, much more.
Curious George, Smokey the Bear and several Mermaids will be some of the characters joining in the fun. Come and check out your local PBS and NPR stations while touring the radio and television studios. You’ll even get to see yourself on TV (the green screen that is!) Snacks, drinks, and great food will be available for purchase.
If you’d like to learn more about this free event, check out last year’s video:
Join the fun at Huguenot Park and the Community Idea Stations at 10901 Robious Road, North Chesterfield, Virginia on May 4th, 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. The day is free thanks to our sponsor, Virginia 529 College Savings Plan.
For more information, call the Community Idea Stations at (804) 320.1301. You can also RSVP to our Facebook Event Page to receive updates about the event.
This event will go on rain or shine. However, if the forecast calls for severe weather, we may have to cancel the event. A final decision will be made on the morning of May 4th and an announcement will be made available by calling (804) 320.1301.
Check out some of the Activities happening this year:
- Get up close and personal with live owls, raptors and reptiles
- Hike the trails of Huguenot Park and learn about trees and animal tracks
- Join some "Bug Walks" to uncover all kinds of creatures
- Explore rocks and minerals of Virginia
- Discover hidden Geocaches
- Try your hand at archery
- Climb aTree with a special guide
- Play Fishing games and try Stand up Paddleboarding-on dry land
- Enjoy Nature-based arts and crafts and a recycled art project
- Discover square foot gardening
- Learn all about bees and how to identify birds and their songs
- Play lots of outdoor games in the field games area
- Learn all about the James River, Chesapeake Bay and the Virginia Institite for Marine Science
- Meet Smokey the Bear, Curious George and Mermaids and other characters