A Place of Our Own, produced by KCET, in association with 44 Blue Productions and Sesame Workshop, first aired on PBS stations in California in 2005 and nationwide since 2007. It is generously funded with support from BP, First 5 California and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. A Place of Our Own is a fun and engaging half-hour designed to provide early childhood professionals with insights on how to guide children toward being socially and intellectually ready to enter school. The series incorporates segments taped in preschool centers, demonstrating good early childhood principles through everyday activities that engage children by learning through play. Program topics include child development and health, early pre-literacy, math and science, diversity and early identification of special needs.
The Community Idea Stations’ Ready To Learn Program recognizes that early childhood professionals need access to a variety of comprehensive educational information and training that allows them to be qualified and skilled to provide quality child care for children in Virginia. We are pleased to announce that professionals can earn training hours by viewing a DVD of the award-winning series A Place of Our Own and completing a self-study packet.
The self-study program includes viewing A Place of Our Own DVD and submitting a completed packet to the Community Idea Stations, Attn: Ready To Learn Coordinator. A small processing fee of $20 (check or money order) must be included. It will then be reviewed and evaluated. Upon a satisfactory review, the professional will receive a certificate for three hours of training.
How do I complete the self-study program?
- You will need access to a DVD player to complete this distance learning program.
- Complete the Participant Information Sheet (PDF download).
- Before watching the DVD, review Part One: What Am I Learning About My Own Routine and Part Two: Supporting Children’s Learning.
- View the entire DVD. While viewing, take notes and jot down ideas and thoughts on a piece of paper as you watch the episode.
- Once you have finished viewing the DVD, complete Part One: What Am I Learning About My Own Routine and Part Two: Supporting Children's Learning. When completing Part One and Part Two, reflect on your current routines and practices. Be specific about what you learned and will adapt or change based on the new information and ideas presented in the DVD. If you need more space to answer the questions, continue your answers on an additional sheet of paper and attach it with the packet.
How do I submit my packet for a training certificate?
- Assemble the packet which includes the following items:
- Participant Information Sheet
- $20 dollar check or money order made out to Commonwealth Public Broadcasting Corporation
- Part One: What Am I Learning About My Own Routine
- Part Two: Supporting Children's Learning
Note: You will need to send in a separate packet for each DVD.
- Make a copy of the packet to keep for your records before mailing it to the Ready To Learn Coordinator.
Mail the complete packet to:
Community Idea Stations
Attn: Ready To Learn Coordinator
23 Sesame Street
North Chesterfield, VA 23235
Note: Multiple packets may be sent in the same envelope.
What happens after I submit my packet?
Once received, each packet with be reviewed to ensure that it is complete. An incomplete packet will be mailed back and will not be processed.
Each complete packet, Part One: What Am I Learning About My Own Routine and Part Two: Supporting Children's Learning, will be graded. A grade of “satisfactory” or “unsatisfactory” will be assigned.
"Satisfactory" grades will be assigned to work that demonstrates that you not only learned information from the episode but intend to use that knowledge to reflect on and change or adapt current practices and routines in your program. Responses will be neatly written in complete sentences and with correct grammar and spelling. For a “satisfactory” grade, Ready To Learn will mail you a certificate for three hours of training.
If a grade of “unsatisfactory” is assigned, Ready To Learn will not refund the processing fee. However, the packet will be sent back to you. You may correct or add to your previous work based on the comments provided by the Ready To Learn reviewer. You may then resubmit the packet. An “unsatisfactory” packet can be resubmitted one time without paying another processing fee.
Allow 4-6 weeks for your packet to be processed. If you have questions about a packet that you submitted after that time has elapsed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I find a DVD to view so I can complete this distance learning program?
The Community Idea Stations’ Ready To Learn Program has proudly partnered with various organizations around Virginia to make it convenient for you to find a DVD, the necessary forms and information for you to complete this program. Please contact one of the community partners listed below to make arrangements to check a DVD out:
- Agnes Taylor Gray Library: 125 Bank Street Waverly, VA 23890 (804) 834.2192
- A.P. Hill Branch Library: 1237 Halifax Street Petersburg, VA 23803 (804) 733.2391
- Appomattox Regional Library Bookmobile Hours: Monday, Smyrna CDC 9:30–10:30 a.m. Woodlawn Presbyterian 11:00–12:00 p.m. Temple Park 1:00–3:00; Wednesday, Fort Lee CDC 9:00–3:00 p.m.; Thursday, James CDC 9:00–9:30 a.m. Greenhouse Day Care 10:30–12:00 p.m. The Stand School 2:00–3:30 p.m. Fort Lee Community Centers 4:00–5:00 p.m
- Burrowsville Library: 18701 James River Dr. Disputanta, VA 23842 (757) 866.0659
- Carson Depot Library: 16101 Halligan Park Rd Carson, VA 23830 (434) 246.2900
- Child Care Aware of Central Virginia: Saretha Williams, (804) 591.3940 or email@example.com
- City of Richmond Early Childhood Development Initiate: Cybil Faulks-Brown, (804) 646.3331 or Cybil.Faulks@Richmondgov.com
- Colonial Heights Library: 1000 Yacht Basin Dr. Colonial Heights, VA 23834 (804) 520.9384
- Dinwiddie Branch Library: 14103 Boydton Plank Rd Dinwiddie, VA 23841 (804) 469.9450
- Disputanta Library: 10010 County Drive Disputanta, VA 23842 (804) 991.2403
- Enon Library: 1801 Enon Church Rd. Chester, VA 23836-6164 (804) 530.3403
- Ettrick-Matoaca Library: 4501 River Road Petersburg, VA 23803-1732 (804) 526.8087
- Good Shepherd Child Development Center: Michele McTague, Director, 1401 Old Hundred Road, Midlothian, VA 23114, (804) 897.0260 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Henrico Public Library: Pat Muller, (804) 290.9027 or email@example.com
- Little Angels Child Care and Learning Center: Joyce Petticolas, 444 Halifax Street, Petersburg, VA 23803, (804) 861.4463, Fax: (804) 861.4554, Little.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maude Langhorne Nelson Library: 209 E Cawson St Hopewell, VA 23860 (804) 458.6329
- McKenney Library: 20707 First St McKenney, VA 23872 (804) 478.4866
- Petersburg Dept. of Social Services Child Care: Rosalind Jennings, Supervisor, 400 Farmers St. Petersburg, VA 23803 email@example.com
- Prince George County Dept. of Social Services: Libby Vinsh, P.O. Box 68 Prince George, VA 23875, (804) 733.2650 ext. 120 or Libby.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prince George Library: 6605 Courts Drive Prince George, VA 23875 (804) 458.6329
- Richmond Public Library: Krista Dawson, (804) 646.4147 or Krista.Dawson@Richmondgov.com
- Rodof Sholom Branch Library: 1865 S. Sycamore St. Petersburg, VA 23803 (804) 733.2393
- Rohoic Library: 7301 Boydton Plank Rd Petersburg, VA 23830 (804) 732.4119
- Smart Beginnings Hopewell Prince George: Katie Sloan, (804) 458.6329 x2022 or email@example.com
- Smart Beginnings Hopewell-Prince George & Crater Appomattox Regional Library: Greta Morris, Quality Early Childhood Care and Education Coordinator, 209 East Cawson Street, Hopewell, VA 23860 • facebook.com/smartbeginningshpg, (804) 458.6329 x2023, Cell: (434) 660.9243, Fax: (804) 452.0909 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Troxler Memorial Library: 100 Wilson Avenue Wakefield, VA 23888 (757) 899.6500
- Dr. Novella Ruffin, 1 Hayden Dr. Petersburg, VA 23806, (804) 524.5257 or email@example.com
- Walnut Grove Children’s Learning Center: Kristi Bowles or Carolyn Hardison, 7046 Cold Harbor Road, Mechanicsville, VA 23111, (804) 730.6324 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- William R. McKenney Branch Library: 137 S. Sycamore St. Petersburg, VA 23803 (804) 733.2387
- Videos are also available through the Netflix DVD-by-mail service.