The Community Idea Stations use the Power of Media to Educate, Entertain and Inspire.
We are the largest locally owned and operated media company in the region, each week reaching more than 300,000 people throughout central Virginia of every age, demographic and economic circumstance. WCVE PBS, WCVW PBS, PBS Kids 24/7, lifestyle channel Create TV and international program channel MHz Worldview serve the Richmond community with television programming.
We serve the Charlottesville community with television programming on WHTJ PBS, Create TV and MHz Worldview, and PBS Kids 24/7.
We serve the Harrisonburg community with television programming on WVPT PBS and WVPT-2, Create TV and PBS Kids 24/7.
WCVE Music provides classical music, jazz, blues, world music, and more for radio listeners on 93.1 FM and 107.3 FM (HD2).
WCVE News provides BBC News, and NPR talk shows on 88.9 (HD1) and also serves radio listeners on 89.1 WCNV in the Northern Neck and on 90.1 WMVE in Chase City.
ideastations.org provides all of central Virginia with additional content for lifelong learners of all ages.
Our community impact is concentrated into five areas:
- Arts – Through programming on television and radio, we take audiences to stages in our own backyard and around the world. On radio through Artsline and media sponsorships, we support local arts organizations and keep our community abreast of local arts happenings.
- History – From PBS national documentaries to our own award-winning locally-produced documentaries, we share the stories of our shared experiences.
- Science – Our multi-media initiative Science Matters uses radio, television and the Web to encourage audience interest in science and exploration, STEM education and environmental sustainability and stewardship in our community.
- News – On radio and television, we are a trusted news source for in-depth local, national and international news.
- Children’s Education – Our Ready To Learn literacy program helps parents and educators use PBS Kids television programs, hands-on activities and reading to develop literacy skills in young children, putting them on the path for success in school.
Serving our community for 50 Years...
The Community Idea Stations is committed to fulfilling the promise of public broadcasting by using the power of media to enrich the human spirit and make our community a better place. We partner with many organizations, using our media to amplify their missions. Together we help foster a community that is vibrant in the arts, understands and learns from its past, inspires curiosity in the world around us and lifelong learning for all ages, whose citizens are informed, open-minded and engaged and whose children are put on a path for success in school and life.
Television and Radio Coverage Area: